Vacancy: Commercial Manager
Salary: €80K - €100K DOE + Flights ,Accommodation, Transport, Flexible rotation patterns
3D Personnel’s client, one of Europe’s leading specialist Mechanical & Electrical contractors, are now looking to appoint an experienced (Ideally Electrical Biased) Commercial Manager to support the Business in the delivery of ‘leading edge’ engineering and construction projects and to support the project team from the earliest stages of the project initially based in Finland.
3D Personnel’s client specialise in a number of specialist sectors including data centres, pharmaceutical, life science, industrial, power generation & commercial.
As a Commercial Manager you will support the evaluation of tender packages and submissions in conjunction with the Business Unit Manager, Comm. Lead, Operations Manager and the Tendering Manager from a commercial / contractual / design / technical / programme perspective from bid stage right through to project completion with a view to generating the greatest value for the company.
To manage a profile of work in the Nordic Region and to ensure the maximum contribution for the company.
To identify and deliver processes and solutions that provide value for the customer and the company, right first time, on time.
Reporting to Commercial Director / BU Commercial Lead, the Commercial Manager duties are:
- Manage the Business Unit revenue and cashflow with forecasted vs. actual monthly reporting and comply with Business commercial governance. Issue the as defined Commercial reports per pre-agreed timelines and dates.
- Agree the optimum commercial structure to support the Business Unit & the Business overall (Group BD and Estimating support on an ad-hoc basis) with the Group Comm. Dir. / BU Commercial Lead.
- Implement the optimum structure and train the Commercial Team.
- Recorded weekly meeting with the Operations Manager on key deliverables for the Business Unit.
- Coordinate, manage and support QS R&R deliverables to ensure all activities are running in sequence for Pre-Construction and Construction, all key milestones are met / closed on time with relevant Commercial information made available to key stakeholders and compliant with firm’s QA processes & business goals and policies.
- Ensure all handover meetings take place and actions are minuted and closed prior to profit plan signoff.
- Use best endeavours to lead the Business Unit final negotiation process on bid management, contract signing and dispute resolution with the support of the Directors, Business Unit Manager and Commercial Lead.
- Evaluate the Tender Bids when the company “get to the table” for Gap Analysis.
- Evaluate Contract position of “likely win” bids with the Group Contracts Lead and lead negotiations with Client representatives with a clear understanding of Director’s position on liabilities and risk.
- Interpret contract rights & obligations and evaluate technical/financial risks for management reporting. Implement contract guiding policy & ensure all stakeholders understand and adhere to contractual obligations.
- Review all QS profit plans for monthly signoff and audit and challenge the detail on an interim reporting basis where risk lends itself to further ongoing review.
- Lead, manage and close matters where QS support is needed for R&R deliverables working with Operations Manager / PM / other support functions without the need for further escalation to senior management.
- Identify potential commercial risks, manage & implement agreed mitigation strategies/innovative control measures with the Group Comm. Dir. / BU Commercial Lead and ensure prompt reporting of same to Senior Management with recommendations.
- Attend meetings as required. Ensure all escalated commercial matters are clearly communicated, actioned and closed where practicable.
- Strengthen the commercial awareness of the support functions. Work closely with the support functions to develop greater technical knowledge and understanding; primarily finance, operations, planning & engineering.
- Audit live projects to ensure planned commercial processes are implemented and information is accurate. Challenge and improve commercial position and structures as required.
- Maintain accurate records and provide necessary detailed backup to support commercial decisions.
- Manage and approve vendor / sub-contractor / on hire agency / C2 Personnel / Consultancy sub contract terms & conditions and payments.
- Ensure Subcontract / LOI / PO with T&C’s in place in advance of commencement on site and communicate to PM if non-compliant and escalate to Senior Management if no immediate action taken where non-compliant.
- Follow direction of Senior Management in undertaking work duties and work as an integral part of the Business Unit and Group Commercial teams.
- Support & challenge the Engineering, Operational, Contractual and Commercial teams on information received.
- Optimise time management within BU department - speed and accuracy of information is a priority. Communicate with Operations Manager and PM’s where support is required.
- Manage the prompt closure of final account negotiations ensuring retention release on time.
- Propose and support the implementation of lean process improvements by continuously working to expand, preserve and improve procedures, standards and policies in line with Business Unit and Group Strategy Map.
- Implement and Audit Commercial Strategy in line with Functional Strategy Map.
- Communicate effectively to your commercial team. Set an example of enthusiasm, loyalty and hard work in the performance of all duties.
- Complete yearly performance review and put structure in place to train and develop the BU Commercial Team.
- Manage and support the training and development programme for members of the BU Commercial team.
- Have a practical understanding of scheduling and the associated commercial implications. Ensure close collaboration with QS, Planning and Engineering regarding accuracy of progress reporting.
- Build new Client relationships and maintain existing relationships during and post project completion Report any new Business opportunities to Directors / Commercial Lead / Business Unit Leader.
- Lessons Learnt for Estimating tendered projects to be communicated at Profit Plan Signoff and Project Completion to Estimating Managers. All other key Lessons Learnt to be
- communicated for business improvements and future mitigations.
- Minimum 10+ years of Quantity surveying experience essential on Electrical Projects.
- 3rd Level Qualification in Quantity Surveyor / Construction Economics
- Proficient in excel.
- Detailed knowledge of commercial management and QS Role within construction
- Knowledge of contract conditions and their applications
- Overall understanding of the business, client and Sub Contractor relations, and installations
- Excellent Communication/Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Record Keeping and Administration Skills
- Process driven and focused on EHS and Quality Work Management Systems and Processes